Thoughts on technology, investing and company building
I write and speak about about market trends in the technology and venture capital industry, new companies I invest in and learnings as and when they happen. Here are some highlights:Artificial intelligence and machine learning
- An analytical digest of artificial intelligence and machine learning news from the technology industry, research lab and venture capital market. Subscribe here.
- Investing in artificial intelligence. TechCrunch Contributor Network piece.
- An overview of machine intelligence deals and exits for H1 2015.
- A comprehensive analysis of the global private company AI market for investments and exits in 2015. This work explores key trends of interest for AI investors, entrepreneurs and acquirers.
- The AI innovators who are blazing a trail into our future. I served on the judging committee for the WIRED Audi Innovation Awards recognising British AI pioneers. We filmed an introductory video here (June 2016).
- The return of the machinery question. Commentary for The Economist (June 2016).
- Fireside chat with Deborah Harrison, Editorial Writer, Microsoft Cortana, Re.Work Virtual Assistant Summit, San Francisco, USA (Jan 2016).
- What the future beholds for AI companies. Invited talk at the AppliedAI Meetup in London, UK (Jan 2016). Video link here.
- The portrait of an investable AI business. Invited talk at inaugural AI meetup in Malmo, Sweden (Feb 2016).
- Why the US is buying up so many UK artificial intelligence companies. Commentary for Vice Motherboard (March 2016).
- Thoughts on ethics in AI. Commentary for Business Insider (March 2016).
- Part 1 and Part 2 of a podcast on artificial intelligence, markets, applications, investing and what to expect in the future recorded with Nick Moran @ The Full Ratchet (April 2016).
- Invited guest on the MEX podcast exploring artificial intelligence as an emerging technology, user behaviour and how to design better digital experiences (April 2016).
- I moderated a panel session on AI in healthcare with Cosima Gretton (Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust), Reza Khorshidi (Head of Science, EMEA and Special Projects Lab at AIG) and Mahiben Maruthappu (Senior Fellow to the CEO of NHS England), Re.Work Deep Learning in Healthcare Summit, London, UK (April 2016).
Health and life sciences
- An outlook on the wearable technology market, financings and what’s to come. Invited talk at Imperial College London Business School, UK (Feb 2015).
- A health check up on the fitness technology market. Invited talk at inaugural London FitTech meetup in London, UK (Feb 2016).
Investing and company building
- Passed on investing in a startup? Give the entrepreneur worthy feedback.
- Build as though there were no rules of engagement.
- Making swift decisions when investing or raising early stage venture capital.
- Hiring for startups: insights from a Playfair panel session.
I also tweet sometimes from @nathanbenaich.